Explode your Blog Traffic

Monday, December 15, 2008

Monkey Scared Me

My son(monkey) scarred me real bad this weekend. On Thursday night, his father picked him up early from his mothers because she said he wasn't feeling well. I got home and took his temp and it was 102.9 *scary* He has never been sick before so, I really didn't know what I should do. My first instinct was to go immediately to urgent care, but I calmed down and called the doctor on call that evening. She called back a 1/2 hour later and I explained his symptoms- the previous week he had some congestion and a runny nose, and the day before my MIL said he had a case of diarrhea(TMI), and now this fever. He was still pretty happy, not as much energy, but not irritable or anything. The Dr. told me that I should just give him some Tylenol to reduce the fever, watch him and give him fluids so he doesn't dehydrate. I asked her when I should worry, at what temp.? *And this is when I got a bit upset* The Dr. then laughs at me...yes, no need to read it again, she laughed at me. and said, what are you worried about brain damage and seizures or something? I said well, honestly, yes. What's a dangerous temperature for a 7 month old. She then chuckled again- as if I went to medical school or something and proceeded to tell me that an infant who is neurologically sound will not let his temperature raise to a level that is dangerous to his health. But if you think it will help**the gall of this women, I wouldn't have asked if I didn't think it would help**a dangerous temp would be around 108-109, and we generally like to see the baby if he gets a temp of 104-105 *good thing I asked because he was basically one degree away from that range*. She said there was no need for me to go out and sit in the ER, because there's really nothing they can do- his body is just trying to fight off an infection. If it doesn't get better within 2-3 days, bring him in to be looked at.

So, I hungup with Dr. Unsympathetic and watched the little monkey very closely, taking his temp every hour and making sure he got plenty of fluids and rest. I took Friday off and his temp teetered around 101-102, still scared. On Saturday morning he was still at about 101- and I was all set to take him in, but he seemed to have a little more energy, so I thought I would give it until about noon, and to my relief, by about 11:30 he was down to 99 and by 2:30 he was back at a cool 98. I was so relieved. His energy came back and he was back to banging on the couch cushions. For my first bought with a sick baby, I think I faired pretty well.
After almost 8 months (on 12/17), I still have never had to clean up any vomit- my child has NEVER thrown up, not even a little spit up when he was really little. Once it goes in, the food only comes out the other end, so I think I'm pretty lucky in that respect.

No comments:

Check this Blogs Reading Level

Shoe-Gate

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter